04 January 2008

When Asked By A Parent Whether You Keep Firearms In The Home

What to say when asked by another parent whether you have a firearm in your home. You know, the well-meaning parent who's kid wants to play at your house. But they have read the Brady fluff or a newspaper story by an editorial writer who is ignorant of more critical safety hazards (as measured for a couple decades now by the National Safety Council) . . . or biased.

Awhile back, an editorial writer for the Cincinnati Enquirer wrote on her blog that these questions are a good thing. Here is a link to her original post, and below a gem of a reply I found from the Enquirer blog site:

"The number of firearms, or if I have any at all are none of your business, or any body elses. If I were to be asked, I would state: My family's ownership, or lack of ownership of firearms is a private matter. Be assured that we keep all poisons, pesticides, knives, alcohol, pointy sticks, Jarts brand lawn darts, power tools, step ladders, spray paints, prescription drugs, pixie sticks, shillelaghs (we are of Irish descent), baseball bats, lengths of chain, tire irons, hand tools, toilet plungers and other items that children should not contact secured.

"So, do I own firearms? I sure do. Plenty of them. I own them to protect my wife and my children. I also own them for hunting, recreation, and defense of self. In fact, I'm one of the hundred thousand or so Ohioans who have been licensed by the State to carry one concealed. Yes, I could be right behind you at Wendy's with a pistol secured in a concealed holster. You may see my wife at the mall, but you'll never know that there is a 9mm in her purse while she shops at Saks. The only time you will know is if somebody tries to kill you, or us, or our kids, or your kids. "

Well said.

No comments: