18 January 2008

Ken Blackwell: 'Splitting A Baby In Half Usually Means The Baby Dies

Ken Blackwell is the former Ohio secretary of state, former GOP gubernatorial candidate, and a periodic columnist for TownHall.com.

His describes the Department of Justice's brief supporting the 30-year-old handgun ban in Washington DC as a betrayal of civil rights. I couldn't agree more.

"It appears that the Justice Department is trying to say this is a right that should be protected, but the level of protection should be low enough to allow government to broadly restrict or maybe even eliminate your ability to exercise that right. They try to split the baby of having a right but letting government do almost whatever it wants to that right.

"The problem with splitting a baby in half is that the baby usually dies. If our rights can be regulated to the point that we can’t exercise them in our own homes, then they’ve been regulated out of existence.

"So much for civil rights."


Well said, Mr. Blackwell.

Read his full commentary here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brent, Mr. Blackwell hits a home run. You cannot deny he speaks the truth. That baby quote will resonate with people too I believe.

Anonymous said...

Too bad Ken Blackwell is a conservative nut with no credibility. Denies evolution, anti-choice, etc. I disagree with everything Ken Blackwell stands for. That we find common ground in this one issue makes me feel worse, not better. I feel dirty being on the same side as Blackwell on anything...

Brent Greer said...

A- Thanks for writing. Keep in mind we can't always pick your friends or our enemies. Which will make you feel worse in the end? Being on same side as Mr. Blackwell just once, or having this case go south because the DOJ is protecting the ATF and talking out both sides of its figurative mouth?

Anonymous said...

I am sort of like the eaerlier poster. I didn't agree with Blackwell on a lot of stuff and that we agree on this issue is mystifying. He makes a strong case however and I believe he wrote one of the better dissents of the Department of Justice's brief filing on the Washington D.C. case. I cannot believe I am thinking this, but I would sure support Blackwell for Supreme Court Justice if I had a chance to.