02 June 2009

Turn 'Em In (The Cars)

The latest proposal from the White House, as suggested during President Obama's news conference yesterday about the General Motors bankruptcy.

He said: And that’s why I’m calling on Congress to pass fleet modernization legislation that can provide a credit to consumers who turn in old cars and
purchase cleaner, more fuel-efficient cars.

"Turn in" your old car for a credit. Turn in . . . an interesting choice of words, don't you think? Words we have seen used regarding firearms. How easy it would have been to say "trade in" old cars.

Actually, eco-zealots have long opined for older cars to flat out be removed from the roadways, but that pesky issue of compensating owners for their possessions kept getting in the way. We are, at least for now, still a capitalistic society of sorts.

The first thing to pop into my head after hearing what he said is: They can have my used car when they pry the steering wheel from my cold dead hands.

Heh. My twisted sense of humor. Couldn't resist.

2 comments:

Ran said...

Brent,
There was a time recently when I felt mild guilt pangs for having bought a Japanese-made car. No longer...

"Turn in."

Speaking of tuning things in... How 'bout that freakin' birth certificate, oh Messiah?

Thanks for the great site, sir!

Brent Greer said...

Ran,
Thanks for writing. I too have felt the pangs of guilt. Bounced back and forth between American and Japanese cars. I currently own two fine used American vehicles. At this point I don't buy new. I purchase used at the auto auction. News just announced that Hummer divisin is being sold to a Chinese engineering company.
It is a strange new world.....