06 January 2008

Point / Counterpoint

For your consideration I give you,

Theory:

Public safety trumps outdated, irrelevant Second Amendment -- ". . .The Second Amendment disappears atop the frothing surge of hundreds of millions of already 'owned' guns flooding our streets. The Supreme Court needs to dismiss District of Columbia v. Heller as inapplicable, handing down instead a decision concerning the level at which these deadly weapons are to be regulated for public safety."

For your consideration I give you,

Reality:

Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold -- ". . . A grocery store customer in Indianapolis is being credited with halting an armed robbery by pulling his own weapon and pointing it at the assailant until police arrived."

Now, who would you rather have watching YOUR back?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brent:

I'm pro-CCW, and an Ohio permit holder myself. I think what the shopper in Indianapolis did was stupid, and does not speak well for CCW holders. I have my weapon whenever it is legal, but would never draw on a person to save $779. That's just stupid. If it looked like he was going to execute the clerk, or in any other way was threatening life, he should have been shot, but to instigate a standoff, where shopper has gun on BG, while BG already has gun on clerk, is irresponsible, and could have ended badly. If he thought BG was going to kill the clerk, he should have drawn and fired. If he thought it would end peacefully with the robber getting away with a few hundred dollars, he should have left his weapon concealed.

CCW if for self-defense, not for people to run around thinking they are auxiliary cops.

Brent Greer said...

A-
I don't entirely disagree with you. I was unclear whether the guy who pulled his firearm felt threatened, or whether he jumped in. I teach CCW classes and I lecture on this stuff in detail. I think in this case it was a 50/50 situation. And as I counsel students, carrying your firearm concealed creates an extraordinary responsibility. Judgment calls abound. Fortunately, this situation turned out the right way. But I agree entirely that CCW does not make someone an auxiliary cop as you noted. One of the things that makes me cringe is the idiots who have bought these CCW badges, which look at a glance like police badges, in novelty shops. Thanks for reading and writing!

Anonymous said...

You are welcome - great blog. And of course I'm reading into what I think happened, too - tough to get a feel for the real facts from a news account.

I'd love to take a class with you, or bring my sons take one of your Eddie Eagle classes. I'd not heard of that before.