04 January 2008

More From The Campaign Trail on Gun Rights

Mike Huckabee in Fort Dodge, Iowa:

“People are looking for some consistency when it comes to the support of the second amendment. They’re not going to find that I once supported some gun control measure and now I’ve changed my mind because the polls say I should or because the playbook says I should. I do it because it’s a conviction."

Fred Thompson in the Hawaii Reporter:

"You can’t always predict what the Supreme Court will do, but in the case of Heller and Washington, DC’s gun ban, officials in the District of Columbia would have been better off expending their efforts and resources in pursuit of those who commit crimes against innocent people rather than in seeking to keep guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens who would use them only to protect themselves and their families. And that is why appointing judges who apply the text of the Constitution and not their own policy preferences is so important."

No comments: