20 July 2008

Maybe It's Because I Don't Drink Coffee . . .

Okay, I am reading tonight about the intense letter writing campaigns springing up around the United States from startled Starbucks customers who are wondering where their next caffeine fix is going to come from . . .

Are they having the DTs already, even though their favorite stores have not yet closed? Pre-mature withdrawl?

If you have been in Europe this past week, sick or just hanging around in a hole and were not aware, Starbucks announced due to sagging sales and a continuing trouble economy it will shutter some 600 stores across the nation, and delay the opening of many new stores. Which means that a lot of folks are upset -- mad as hell and not going to take it any more.

Over the years I have heard some people say that their morning coffee is a life-saver. My college roommate said he owed his life to his morning coffee and cigarette. So, with that said . . .

In my twisted way, I cannot help but wonder whether if there were a series of attacks, muggings, rapes and the like in their neighborhoods, and law abiding gun owners -- moms and dads -- decided that the time had come to pass a CCW law . . . oh, say like in Illinois . . . whether these same people would be so quick to start a letter writing campaign in support of THAT kind of life-saver?

It would be quite the conundrum for some. My take? I'm rather offended here on Sunday night that there is a letter-writing campaign going on to save some coffee retail locations when many of these same people openly scoff at a woman who wants to carry a firearm to protect her children, but is denied such because she lives in public housing in Chicago. Five Chicago Starbucks stores are slated to close (as are some additional locations just outside the Windy City). I have no doubt that large numbers of coffee-loving Cook County residents are cranking out the letters fast and furious and encouraging their neighbors and friends to do the same.

Which begs the question: Which is the real life-saver? An overpriced cup of "joe," or a lawfully owned personal sidearm? Owned by a carry permit holder?

The answer is obvious to me. But then, am I biased with the question I pose? For you see, I'm not a coffee drinker . . .

No comments: